frame of mind

This autumn is an interesting time for me and I am noting changes in my approach to things, especially creative things. I have always loved this time of year – well actually if you have been reading this blog for any length of time you will know that I love almost any time of year – but autumn has an exciting whiff of change and new beginnings to it that I always enjoy.

Over the past eight months or so, I’ve made discoveries about my creative self that have felt like giant leaps... it has been a marvellous liberation to close the door on textiles and fling wide the door to painting and fine art. I’ve learnt so much, and am quivering like an excited jelly at the thought of how much more and more and more there is to discover. Before, there was doubt and confusion and this so often led to stagnation or more often a sort of frightened petrification. Now, I feel so certain that painting and drawing are what I want to do that I am finding a determination and belief that works almost like an energy force to push me along.

Today I experienced and noticed this energy in a new way as I made a terrible hash of trying to paint this little still-life scene. The paint wouldn’t do what I wanted it to do, I couldn’t mix the right colours, I had so many questions, I felt such a newbie. But instead of the usual sulky, whiney voice that usually pipes up at times like these, I felt a new – and surprising – calmness and determination to find out why it wasn’t working, and to seek out the information I need.

And so I tried again, and this little painting is the result. I don’t show it because I’m especially pleased with it – although it is a lot better than the one I'm not showing! – but I am pleased with what I learned in order to make it, and with my new sense of ‘can’ rather than ‘can’t’.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the palette, very calming. You are coming along in leaps and bounds aren't you? Well done.

Jane Housham said...

It's beautiful.

Hollace said...

I see how you have pursued your drive to develop artistically. You are actually doing something about it and not just wishing and wanting it. That makes all the difference, I think. Good for you!

Sandra Robinson said...

The colour palette is lovely, and I really like the style of painting that you are developing. :)

Lyn said...

it is so lovely, yes you have a talent there and I am glad you are finding it exciting!
xxx

Susan Heather said...

As someone who would love to be able to paint that is wonderful. I just love the depth to the painting. The bottom acorn in particular really stands out from the picture.

Claire said...

Isn't lovely to see your work develop and grow.
Your painting is wonderful Sue. It must've been very satisfying to push past any problems and achieve the desired outcome.
Just love it.

Claire :}

michele said...

I am intrigued by how you seem to be developing a definite style. I look forward to following your journey

Annie said...

I find your compositions charming and your subtle signature palette is perfect. I can't wait to see where your painting takes you.

Frances said...

Sue, it's grand that you did decide to show the beautiful still life.

I have always loved your subtle, knowing, sophisticated approach to embroidery and other textile focused art.

To see you take these steps into painting is pretty wonderful in the eyes of this observer. You are a very talented lady, with so much knowlege of all the artists that came before any of us.

It's great to see how you absort past, grab the present, and then send your art into the future.

Many compliments to you, dear Sue! xo

Tart said...

I echo these comments - your spare style and subdued palette are very very pleasing to the eye. We all love what you show us, thank you.

Gilly said...

I think that painting is fantastic - I honestly thought they were the real things you were painting from! I love the composition, and the things you choose to go together. You have a definite "style" or feel to your work.

And I'm full of admiration for anyone who can make paint do what she wants!!

sue said...

I think all creative processes are a huge learning curve, I usually change and adapt and unpick my projects, always learning as I go. I've stopped getting frustrated by it and started enjoying the evolution of my crafts.
Love your little still life very much. ♥

Anonymous said...

I really like your work - we are always our own worst critics!

Acornmoon said...

I love the colours you have chosen for this still life and the one below. There is something very rich about the paint quality, "gutsy" is a word an artist friend would use to describe it. I also like the lovely delicate shine on those acorns.