winter light

In the few precious hours of midwinter daylight this week I have managed to find a little time for making, including these papier mache tree decorations for my best friend... a coat of Swedish Blue emulsion with initials and snowflakes in silver dry gouache powder mixed with iridescent medium... chocolates inside and all wrapped up in snowy white tissue paper.

I've also been doing some sewing, making market bags for gifts as well as costumes and accessories for the York Mystery Play we recently took part in.

Taking inspiration from here I spent an evening quietly snipping and folding, and now our front room has a rather 1960s feel, with big round snowflakes descending from the picture rails.

I have always loved to pile the house high with evergreens at Christmas, and as we are lucky enough to live in an area with many flats and student houses that have big mature gardens I have been out doing a little 'community pruning'...

( I locked myself out of the house taking this photo, not for the first time this week... the other two incidents were snow-related...)

I love the gentle, homely preparations for Christmas that run alongside the inevitable busyness... all the quiet, solitary occupations that light up the house and make it magical. Now we are almost ready and the next thing I know it will be Christmas Eve and I'll be getting up early to join the queue outside the butcher to collect our turkey, spending the day making fragrant stock for the gravy, bread sauce and chestnut stuffing, ironing the table linen and peeling sprouts as the rest of the family come and go, the rustling of furtive wrapping-up can be heard behind closed doors and the pile beneath the tree begins to grow. Lots of cups of tea, and carols on the radio.

Have a lovely Christmas.

11 comments:

blackbird said...

A lovely Christmas to you and yours too.

Your paper globes capture the icy blue light of winter perfectly- and chocolates inside too.

ginny said...

a lovely gentle post... and a great reminder to keep calm and enjoy...
wishing you a wonderful Christmas Sue.
warmest wishes
ginny x

Frances said...

Sue, you have got such a gentle, yet powerfully spiritual, take on preparing for Christmas.

Hoping that the next days will be full of that same wonderful pace, and that you and your family will have a wonderful Christmas Day!

xo

Chrissie said...

Gorgeous blue, anc choccies too!
Love the idea of community pruning ....
Have a wonderful Christmas

Gretel said...

Lovely globes! So tastefully exquisite. And really, it doesn't get much better than a paper snowflake. :)

Gilly said...

Absolutely beautiful, and where DO you find the time?? Love those balls, you must tell me how you made them!

Looking forward to seeing it all! :)

walter and me said...

Those are so beautiful!
Happy happy christmas, Sue.
Diana x
(word verification: binge!!)

A time to dance said...

What a lovey lovely post..Thank you for all the pleasure that your posts, and friendship have given me ....I always love your adventures and beautiful makes and photographs...Every blessing to you and yours this Christmas....H

Pomona said...

Have a very happy Christmas!

Pomona x

Vicki Boster said...

Sue -
Thank you so much for posting a link to my blog on YOUR beautiful blog. I am so thrilled (actually have a few tears in my eyes!) Your blog is lovely and youare so very talented. I enjoy eery visit that I make to your special place. Happy Holidays---
Vicki

Emma said...

Sue I missed these decorations. I'm rather late in commenting - it's nearly twelfth night - but they are exquisite. The most beautiful I've seen. They had chocolates in them you say? It can't get any better. Many thanks for your comment at my place x